These easy monster eye cupcakes are a huge hit in my family.
They’re cute, fun to make, and the kids absolutely love helping to stick in the eye stalks.
Here’s what you’ll need to make the cupcakes:
1 1/2 C flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 C sugar
1/2 C unsalted butter, room temp
1 large egg, room temp
2 large egg whites, room temp
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/3 C buttermilk
Red & green gel food coloring
Here’s what you’ll need to make the frosting:
4 C powdered sugar
1 C unsalted butter, room temp
4+ TBSP of heavy whipping cream
Red & green gel food coloring
Red & green gum drops (on Amazon here)
Red & green colored toothpicks
Candy eyes (available on Amazon here)
How to make the monster eye cupcakes
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Sit aside.
- Using an electric stand mixer whip the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy in the mixing bowl.
- Add in an egg, then the egg whites one at a time. Add the vanilla with the second egg white.
- In a cup measure out the buttermilk.
- Start to mix 1/3 of the flour mixture alternating with 1/2 of the buttermilk. Mix after each addition only until just combined.
- Divide the batter equally into two bowls. In the first bowl mix several drops of red gel food coloring. Mix the red color into the frosting. In the second bowl add several drops of green gel food coloring. Mixing well.
- After all ingredients are blended scoop the batter into the paper lined cupcake pan until each tin is 3/4 filled.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool in cupcake pan for 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan and place each on a wire rack until completely cooled.
How to make the frosting
- Work with the butter and powder sugar until it is smooth and looks creamy.
- Test to see if the frosting can form and hold a stiff peak by taking a spoonful of frosting and turning the spoon upside down. If the frosting stays on the spoon it is ready if not then….
- Add more powder sugar 1/2 C at a time…. mix well.
- Divide the frosting equally into two bowls. In one bowl add the red gel food coloring, mixing well to blend the color throughout the frosting.
- In bowl # two add several drop of the green gel food coloring. Beat the color into the frosting to make sure that all of the color is blended in the frosting.
- If ready scoop the frosting into the pastry bag with a large tip.
- Twist the open end of the pastry bag to push the frosting to the tip.
- Begin frosting the cupcake by working from the outer edge to the center of the cupcake.
How to color the monster coconut
It takes a few steps to describe this, but it’s actually pretty easy.
- Divide coconut in half and put each half in a ziplock bag.
- Add red gel food coloring to one bag and mix. Leave in about 30 minutes, and rinse with cold water to remove excess. Dry on paper towels.
- Repeat step 3 with green food coloring.
How to make the monster eyes for cupcakes
- Stick the green colored toothpicks through the middle of the green gumdrops.
- Stick the red colored toothpicks through the middle of the red gumdrops.
- Apply a small (2) dots of green frosting to the green gum candy, stick the candy eyes to each frosting dots. Set aside to dry.
- Apply a small (2) dots of red frosting to the red gum candy, stick the candy eyes to each frosting dots. Set aside to dry.
Now, add coconut and eyes to frosted cupcakes:
- Add the green tinted coconut to the green frosted cupcakes. Add the green toothpick gumdrop eyes on top of the cupcake.
- Add the red tinted coconut to the red frosted cupcake. Add the red toothpick gumdrop eyes on top of each of the cupcakes.
Hint: If the coconut doesn’t stick to the frosting use a spray bottle with water and very slightly dampen the frosting.