These chocolate chocolate chip cupcakes are rich, moist, and packed with chocolate. Even better, they’re topped with a creamy, decadent red velvet buttercream.
The chocolate in these cupcakes is really special – they’re so rich that they almost taste like a brownie!
You can definitely tell these cupcakes with red velvet buttercream frosting are made from scratch. Whenever I make them, my daughter claims the first one for herself.
I’m a huge fan of the double chocolate cupcakes too; they’re almost a cross between a brownie and a cupcake.
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Red Velvet Buttercream
My favorite time to make these cupcakes is at Valentine’s Day, when you want something extra special. The red velvet of the buttercream is perfect for a special occasion!
This buttercream is made with all butter (no Crisco here!). The butter makes them incredibly creamy, without any of the waxy aftertaste of vegetable oil shortening.
Even if you’ve never made them before, you can’t go wrong with these homemade chocolate cupcakes. Here’s what you’ll need to make the cupcakes themselves:
- baking powder
- chocolate chips
- white sugar
- brown sugar
To make these yummy cupcakes, you’ll mix together the ingredients from scratch.
Then, pour into cupcake tins lined with paper liners.
Bake in the oven, and 20 minutes later you’ll have homemade brownie-style cupcakes ready to eat.
The hard part is letting them cool before adding the red velvet buttercream frosting (made with real butter!).
The red velvet icing is even easier to make, with only six ingredients: butter, icing sugar, red food coloring, cocoa, vanilla, and milk.
Ready to make something special?
These chocolate cupcakes with chocolate chips inside are the perfect decadent treat.
If you love this recipe, check out our:
- one bowl chocolate cupcakes
- chocolate cake from scratch with fresh fruit and homemade whipped cream
- Amarula and chocolate mini cheesecakes
- Baileys and chocolate mini cheesecake bites
- Mint chocolate chip dip
Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup melted butter plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Red Velvet Buttercream frosting
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 3/4 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon cocoa
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons milk
- red food coloring
Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line cupcake pan with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and chocolate chips.
- In a second bowl, mix white sugar, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla extract. Add melted butter and mix.
- Add sugar mixture to flour mixture.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
- Bake 15-18 minutes.
- Let cool 15 minutes and remove from pan.
Red Velvet Frosting
- In a medium bowl, cream butter using a hand mixer.
- Add 1/2 of powdered sugar and cocoa powder and mix for 1 minute.
- Add 1/2 of milk and vanilla and mix for 1 minute.
- Add remaining powdered sugar and cocoa powder and mix for 1 minute.
- Add remaining milk and vanilla and mix for 2 minutes, or until desired consistency.
- If the mixture is too dry, add 1 tablespoon milk at a time and mix until it's at the desired consistency.
- Add 5 drops of red food coloring and mix until fluffy. Add more red food coloring, if desired.
Pipe red velvet frosting onto cooled double chocolate cupcakes.
Because this recipe is a brownie style cupcake, the cupcakes won't rise as high as a regular chocolate cupcake. Instead, they'll be a little bit flatter, and have a texture somewhere between a brownie and a traditional chocolate cupcake.