These rocky road cupcakes are rich, gooey, and made with little bit of crunchy goodness from the pecans.
The recipe is so rich that the chocolate cupcake base is a little more like little brownies than cupcakes. They’re one of my kids’ (and my!) favorite treats! They have all the rocky road goodness of ice cream, nuts, and marshmallows.
These are the goodies we bring to new neighbors if we really want to make friends fast :).
Rocky Road Cupcakes
We love this rocky road cupcake recipe from scratch served warm, while the marshmallows and chocolate chips are a little bit melted.
It’s simply gooey, rich chocolate cupcake goodness topped with browned marshmallows and lightly pecans.
It’s no secret we love chocolate, judging from our never fail rich and moist chocolate cupcakes, and our chocolate fresh fruit cake with whipped cream, our chocolate fruit dip, and our mint chocolate chip cheesecake dip.
For more delicious dessert goodness, follow our Sweets board on Pinterest.
- 1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease cupcake tins and line with paper liners.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt 1 cup of chocolate chips with butter for 30 seconds. Remove and stir. Microwave 30 seconds more at a time, stirring each time, until smooth and melted together.
- Remove chocolate and butter mixture from the heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Whisk the flour and baking powder together in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, sugar and salt with an electric mixer for 3 minutes or until the mixture is pale and thick.
- Gently fold the lukewarm chocolate over the egg and sugar mixture.
- Add the flour, 1/4 cup chocolate chips and 1/2 cup chopped pecans and fold gently.
- Spoon batter into the lined cups.
- Sprinkle the tops with the remaining pecans and chocolate chips.
- Bake 15 to 18 minutes, until almost done.
- Sprinkle tops with marshmallows and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Let cupcakes cool.
These are delicious served still slightly warm with ice cream.
If your marshmallows aren’t turning golden, lightly broil for about a minute when cupcakes are done. Watch constantly, as the topping can turn from golden deliciousness to a fiery inferno of charcoal in about 20 seconds flat! I recommend grabbing a seat in front of the oven and watching them brown.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 334Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 77mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 2gSugar: 26gProtein: 4g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information should only be used as a general guideline.